Only when we see a changing future in front of our eyes do we stop to recognize that what once seemed to be the normal and mundane parts of our day will soon become a memory – The voices we grow accustomed to hearing, the conversations we get used to having, the places we frequent, the people and smiles that cross our paths, will all become a memory. Every moment will become a memory.
I wish this realization came sooner. Perhaps I would have been more appreciative, made more shukr, given more of myself. But that’s the thing about memories, and time, and wisdom – we learn through hindsight and reflection on the past. And still, reflection remains fruitless if we don’t internalize the lessons and truths we have become conscious of over time.
Memories also teach us that nothing is constant. Everything is bound to change sooner or later. Every creation of Allah points our attention to the nature of change such as within the qalb or in the alteration of days and nights. The only constant is Allah. Ar-Raqeeb – The watchful one. Our past, present, and future are all known to Him, subhanahu wata’ala, and in Him we place our trust and hope as we experience the life changes that come our way.
وَتَوَكَّلْ عَلَى اللَّهِ وَكَفَى بِاللَّهِ وَكِيلًا
Takeaways from this late night reminiscing session:
- A is for appreciation.
- Treasure each moment.
- Wherever you are, whatever you are doing, be fully there.
- Increase in deliberate acts of kindness.
- The clock will not stop ticking; make the most of your time in every area of life.
- Make life about creating and cherishing awesome memories inshaAllah.
- During any times of change, look back at the road you have traveled thus far and know that just as Allah guided your every step, He can and will help you take the next step forward inshaAllah.