Summer is approaching so I thought I’d share some tips for hijabi/abaya/niqab wearing sisters on how to keep themselves cool. :) Feel free to share you own thoughts as well.
- Wear loose cotton shirts. Anything that sticks to your body will only make you hotter. If you’ve seen footage from Mauritania and other super hot countries, you’ll notice that they wear a ton of fabric but it’s in layers and it doesn’t stick to the body.
- Light colors. It’s an obvious one but for those of us who stick with darker and more neutral colors, it’s probably a good idea to get some lighter shades of hijabs as opposed to black.
- Keep your hair up. There’s nothing worse than having your hair down under your hijab on a hot day. Keep it up, but be careful not to make it look like a camels hump because the Prophet (salallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) strictly warned against that. If you get a haircut, most of this problem is solved.
- Don’t wear jeans. Again, anything loose and light is perfect under an abaya. Jeans will only make you hotter, faster… and it’s much easier to move around in khaki’s or .. PJs :p
- If you wear a head piece under your hijab, make sure it’s one of the thinner ones. I read somewhere that if your neck and feet are cool, your whole body will feel cool. Kinda hard if your head piece is thick.
- Socks. If you follow the opinion that women must cover their feet at all times, then this can be a bit tricky. I really don’t have any tips for this because I wear socks all the time, no exceptions.. so its just something you have to get used to. If you follow the opinion that feet are treated just like hands, and therefore they’re not awrah.. then you have a lot more leeway. Sandals, flipflops, etc.
- Don’t use too many creams and lotions on your hands or face because it only makes your skin more oily in the Summer. A little bit is fine, but definitely not as much as you would use in the Winter. Try to go for the unscented option ;)
- Make wudhu more than usual. Great way to drop sins and get lots of ajr but it also helps you stay cool and fresh throughout the day. And actually wash your feet. Even if you follow the opinion of wiping over the socks, much better to wash your feet in the Summer.
- Go swimming! Find a womens-only swimming pool in your area and have a pool party with friends. :)
- Wearing eye-catching make-up is generally not okay but if make-up is a regular part of your routine.. the less, the better.
- If you have really long and hot day ahead of you, you might want to try having an ice pack with you to use as needed.
InshaAllah, these tips and tricks are beneficial, though most of them are pretty obvious. :) As the sun starts shining, remember that there is a ton of reward for those who remain steadfast in the face of challenges. Of course, it’s much easier to roll up our sleeves or be less careful about covering properly, but imagine Allah’s love for his slaves who strive to please Him, subhanhu wata’ala in every circumstance. If you do happen to find yourself exhausted or tired, think of our mother – Hajar (‘alayhis salaam) and the immense struggle she went through under the scorching sun rays of Arabia. Think of the Sahabiyaat. Think of the heat on yaum ul Qiayamah and suddenly, the heat of this world will only seem like a breeze.
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ اصْبِرُواْ وَصَابِرُواْ وَرَابِطُواْ وَاتَّقُواْ اللّهَ لَعَلَّكُمْ تُفْلِحُونَ
O you who have believed, persevere and endure and remain stationed and fear Allah that you may be successful.
[Surah Ale Imran: 200]