- Kawthar–abundant good. Allah azzwajal is reassuring Rasulullah that he has blessed him with abundant good–Qur’an, the best companions, Islam.
- The river of Al Kawthar: Water colder than ice. Whiter than milk. Sweeter than honey. Flows through river basin that is constructed of precious stone. Hollowed out pearls along the river. Cups all along the sides for the believers to drink from. Origin begins underneath the throne of Allah and ends where the Judgment Day will start. Howl.
- Anas (ra) reported: One day the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) was sitting amongst us that he dozed off. He then raised his head smilingly. We said: What makes you smile. Messenger of Allah? He said: A Surah has just been revealed to me, and then recited: In the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful. Verily We have given thee Kauthar (fount of abundance). Therefore turn to thy Lord for prayer and offer sacrifice, and surely thy enemy is cut off (from the good). Then he (the Holy Prophet) said: Do you know what Kauthar is? We said: Allah and His Messenger know best. The Holy Prophet (may peace be upon him) said: It (Kauthar) is a canal which my Lord, the Exalted and Glorious has promised me, and there is an abundance of good in it. It is a cistern and my people would come to it on the Day of Resurrection, and tumblers there would be equal to the number of stars. A servant would be turned away from (among the people gathered there). Upon this I would say: My Lord, he is one of my people, and He (the Lord) would say: You do not know that he innovated new things (in Islam) after you. Ibn Hajr made this addition in the hadith:” He (the Holy Prophet) was sitting amongst us in the mosque, and He (Allah) said: (You don’t know) what he innovated after you” [Muslim :Book 4 : Hadith 790]
- Cause of revelation: Rasulullah (Salallahu Alayhi Wasallam) was once in Haram Shareef and a Mushrik met him while he was exiting. When the Mushrik entered the Masjid, he referred to Nabi Salallahu Alayhi Wasallam as ‘Abtar’–a person who is cut off. There is a difference of opinion about who this Mushrik was. (For he who hates you, he will be cut off.) meaning, `indeed he who hates you, O Muhammad, and he hates what you have come with of guidance, truth, clear proof and manifest light, he is the most cut off, meanest, lowliest person who will not be remembered.
- Ibn `Abbas, Mujahid, Sa`id bin Jubayr and Qatadah all said, “This Ayah was revealed about Al-`As bin Wa’il. Whenever the Messenger of Allah would be mentioned (in his presence) he would say, `Leave him, for indeed he is a man who is cut off having no descendants. So when he dies he will not be remembered.’ Therefore, Allah revealed this Surah.”
- Because Rasulullah (Salallahu Alayhi Wasallam) had lost his only son Ibrahim, the Mushrikeen would use this as a way to put him down, saying that he would be forgotten without lineage. Look at how wrong they were. There is no name more common than Muhammad, there is not a time of day when the adhaan is not being called in some part of the world, or a time when someone is not sending salawaat upon Rasulullah. Compare this to how the Kuffar and Mushrikeen are remembered. Their name isn’t said without ‘La’natullah’ after it and his name is always followed by Salallahu Alayhi Wasallam. They are the ones who are cut off. Allah cut them off because of their kibr and kufr.
- Pray to your Lord and sacrifice–Eid Salah. Not allowed to sacrifice before Eid Salah.
- Just as Allah has blessed you (Rasulullah S) with abundant good in the dunya and akhirah, make abundant Salah as a sign of gratitude.
Source: Heavenly Pearls Notes