This is post number 10 in the Divine Speech series. Here we see a lifetime, literally a snapshot of one’s whole life described in just one ayah. This one just left me speechless. To think that this is all our worldly life amounts to.
Allah says in the Quran:
“Know that the life of this world is only play and amusement, pomp and mutual boasting among you, and rivalry in respect of wealth and children, as the likeness of vegetation after rain, thereof the growth is pleasing to the tiller; afterwards it dries up and you see it turning yellow; then it becomes straw. But in the Hereafter (there is) a severe torment (for the disbelievers, evil-doers), and (there is) Forgiveness from Allah and (His) Good Pleasure (for the believers, good-doers), whereas the life of this world is only a deceiving enjoyment.” [57:20]
- Stage 1: Most important thing for a child is PLAY, Amusement (Laibun)
- Entertainment–tell me a story, song, book, shows. They want to be played with, tickled.
- Stage 2: Beautification–teenagers. Obsession with self. Can’t be seen around ugliness. Have to be trendy and be up to date with the style.
- We’ve all seen the teenagers going to Jum’ah prayer or wherever and they literally check themselves out in every reflection of every car.
- Stage 3: Tafahurru Baynakum (shared urge)–show people.
- When we get a promotion, first thing we do is come home and tell our loved ones. When kids get their diploma or graduates get their degree, automatically it gets framed and goes up on the wall where all the guests can get a good look at it. “Look, see that, I did that.”
- Stage 4: Awlad–mutually shared concern for money and children-Money, kids. Kids, money. Kids+Money
- Stage 5: It is the likeness of fruitful rain which impresses the farmer a lot (fruit).
- Farmer does not know if it will rain, drought, will it pay off?, nerve-racking time of year.
- He sees heavy rain…produce coming out. Everything coming together, getting happy
- Not only does it come out but it matures. Then the farmer cuts it. It’ll turn yellow.
- When you run after something you won’t see the value of it after some time and then run after something else.
- New car comes out. The old car “turns yellow”. Bought a new home, go to party, see someone else’s home and all of a sudden, your perfectly good house “turns yellow”. Personal Experience: You get the awesomest phone ever, iphone 3G and the iphone 3GS comes out and the one you have “turns yellow”. Get it?
- La yaquununnaminassalihiin. “We will be of the righteous if you get this for me.” Wallahi, I heard this one sooo many times from my younger sister. “Bajiiii, if you buy me this new tea set, I promise I will memorize my Surah, I promise!” So she gets her tea set and plays with it till she sleeps. And then gets in trouble and tells my dad that I’m not nice to her lol.
- Then it turns into crust. Valueless. Before you wanted nothing more than that one thing.
- What you are seeking is weak and you are weak. Let me repeat: The seeker AND the sought are weak.
- What is strong??? By remembrance of Allah, we attain satisfaction. Say Alhumdulillah, and you will be rich.
“Those who believe (in the Oneness of Allah – Islamic Monotheism), and whose hearts find rest in the remembrance of Allah, Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest.”
Remember that this is the state of humanity, NOT the state of the believer. The believer is above these things. Why? because of the concept of Shukr.
The Walking Talking Millionaire